Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Wholecloth, Batiks and Hexies

It's been a busy week since the last post. I've made some progress on a couple of projects, including starting a new one.

November's Learning Quilt-A-Long

My goal for November is to create a wholecloth quilt from each different batting being tested. In some of the projects, the FMQ follows the design on what will be the backing.

For this first piece, I began by quilting on the silk batting. Last month I had quilted on the cotton-wool batting first, so the silk batting felt very thin in comparison. This time, the silk batting was great.
FMQ the bird panel from the backing
For this wholecloth quilt, I used #100 Kimono silk thread from Superior Threads in both the top and the bobbin. It was perfect and quilted beautifully.

Below is the front of the wholecloth quilt. I changed the colour to off-white because I would like to try to either paint or dye the piece. This will be a learning project for this winter. I'm hoping to visit my girlfriend who is a painter. She has promised to help me since I'm pretty nervous about painting :-) I'm the kid who had a paint-by-number of the Last Supper and proceeded to paint the whole ceiling in one colour of brown!!! Needless to say, the painting (and the ceiling) were never finished.

The wholecloth quilt created from the FMQ panel
I added a border to the panel and then marked the wholecloth so that I can FMQ something interesting in the border.

Another Batik Lap Quilt

I've started another batik lap quilt using a couple of charm packs that I bought a while back. The colours are absolutely stunning. I'm having a great time working with these colours!

I have almost half of the quilt top pieced. It's now time to go into my stash for more fabric since I only bought 2 charm packs but I need slightly more than that to make a respectable sized quilt (roughly 50" x 47").

Batik lap top - almost half done
I love making these quick quilts. Minimum piecing with all kinds of potential for FMQ. I've been thinking of doing an all-over quilt pattern. I've actually never done this on a quilt. I think that it could be a good learning experience :-)

Hexie Project

I've spent a lot of evenings working on my hexies. It's a restful activity after a day of working and thinking. So far, I'm planning for a runner of two hexie flowers wide and possibly five flowers long. I'll see how far I get before I decide to call it done!
Hexie project coming along
I'm not sure that I like the white border. I could remove it (it's much easier to remove than to add!), but I'll wait to see how it goes. It might be cool to add a border outside of the white border, possibly in all of the colours that I've used in the hexies. The fun part of working with hexies is that it's easy to try out a design by just putting them into place, before attaching them.

To-Do Tuesday

For my To-Do list this week, I'm going to work on another wholecloth quilt and add a few more rows on my batik quilt!

What I learned
  • FMQ the panel by following its outline went really well. I find it much faster than trying to figure out what FMQ pattern to use next. Since I was only outlining everything, it only took a little over an hour. That's good because if it had taken a huge amount of time, I might not be willing to try to add paint or dye to it! I even have more of these panels if I end up wanting to start over.
  • I forget how much I love batiks until I'm doing another batik project. I really hope that I'll remember to use them more often. I get such joy out of working with awesome colours! 
  • After reading a book about Leaders and Enders, I'm really tempted to start one. I think I may have enough batik scraps to start. That would be very cool. I'll let you know when it happens.
  • I'm still having a great time working on the hexies project. It's great to see it grow. 
  • I've been sucked into looking at hexies and EPP on Pinterest. Oh the things I could make.... maybe.... if I had the patience!!!
  • Speaking of patience, I just came back from listening to Kathy K. Wylie who was our guild's guest speaker. Her latest quilt, "For Such a Time As This" won first prize in Houston this fall under Traditional Appliqué. It took her 3 years to make and over 200 hours to FMQ. That is the definition of patience. Wow. Check her quilt out in the Related Links below.
Related Links
Linking Parties: I will be linking this post to many great linking parties. Check out what others are up to! Monday Making, Main Crush Monday, Design Wall Monday, Linky Tuesday, To-Do Tuesday, Midweek Makers, Let's Bee Social, Needle & Thread Thursday, Free Motion Mavericks, Off the Wall Friday, Finished or Not Friday, Can I Get a Whoop Whoop?,

10 comments:

  1. Your quilting is spectacular, and I can not wait to see how the painting goes! What an awesome idea!! I really love the color in those batik fabrics too, wow they just work together so beautifully! Thank you for linking up with To-Do Tuesday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Christine for your kind words.

      Delete
  2. My goodness that bird is in beautiful surroundings! The quilting compliments him so well - nicely done. He distracted me from the pretty batiks. What will you do for quilting there? Thanks for sharing today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your wholecloth is inspiring! What a great idea to practice quilting and test out different battings. I love batiks! Looking forward to seeing how you quilt it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great idea to make a whole-cloth quilt for each type of batting! What a pretty hexie project in the making.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful work! I love batiks also and have just ordered a bolt of cotton/wool that I am going to try out. Hope I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. your quilting is wonderful! I will be interested to hear your reviews on the different battings and hope you will put them all together at the end so we can have it for reference. It’s a great idea and valuable information.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the idea of using a panel as a jumping off point for free motion quilting. You make it look so simple. The reality is you added a few extra FMQ enhancements in the open spaces.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard of quilting from the back but never tried it; it sure turned out good. i too love batik colors and the quilt you made from them. A leaders-and-enders project sounds very good for the scraps. I've done several. It is nice to be surprised at some point by how many are pieced already. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Andrée,

    What a lovely choice for a quilted panel! There is no back to this piece, just two fronts to choose from. And those batik colours are gorgeous!

    Thank you for linking up with Free Motion Mavericks - your quilt is this week featured project.

    Love, Muv

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)