Tuesday, June 14, 2016

My First Swap

I've been avoiding them for years but I finally succumbed to a swap through my guild, the Common Thread Quilt Guild. In the excitement of the moment I just forgot that I don't do swaps. Don't get me wrong, it's a great idea, but I know myself - it'll mean another deadline, agonizing over what to make, is it good enough, will she like it, etc. At least this swap is in person, so I don't have to mail it. That would have added another layer of anxiety.

I really tried to plan ahead and minimize the agony of the decision and the deadline. Two months ago I went to Quilty Pleasures, our local quilt shop where the recipient of my project works, and asked her colleagues what she might like. They gave me a great idea and I got fabric that is typically "her" as well as a pattern.

A runner for the guild swap
I knew that the pattern would be challenging for me since I have less and less patience with instructions. That's why I planned to make two Sew Together Bags - one for me to practice on and the other for the swap. I brought everything to the retreat, thinking I would at least get mine done, since she was also attending the retreat.

You may recall from my post that it didn't go so well. Every piece of fabric I cut was wrong. It's a good thing that the fabric was for my own bag, or it would have been a complete disaster! On the way home from the retreat, my girlfriend offered to bring me a couple of patterns for a runner. I gratefully accepted.

Details of the hexagon 
Here it is! I'm not sure which magazine the runner is from. I did have difficulty with one of the pattern templates - it was too small, but I took out my graph paper and drafted a new one.

The block was interesting since the middle hexagon is actually appliquéd to the outer edges of the hexagon. The pattern suggested using stabilizer and glue but since I liked appliquéing orange peels so much, I just used freezer paper and basted them. It's ironic to think that I used to skip most of the basting required when I used to sew clothes!

I stitched-in-the-ditch using Bottom Line thread and then FMQ a six-petal flower in the middle of each hexagon. Nothing fancy since it's quite busy.

After making the runner and placing it on my living room table, I'm very happy with it. Hopefully the person who receives it will also like it!

Update


Fabric Play by Deanne Moore
Fabric Play
Our swap exchange was last night - and it turns out that my secret sister, Sherrill, also had my name!!!! Apparently the colours I used go with her decor - so the table runner will look good on her living room table.

Two Christmases ago, Sherrill was my secret sister and I gave her a copy of the book, Fabric Play by Deanne Moore. When Sherrill got my name for this swap, she decided that she wanted to make one of the quilts from the book.
My very own lap quilt :-)






The book is all about using different fabrics to get different looks for the same quilt. If you click on the link for the book at Martingale, look at the fourth quilt image in the preview- you wouldn't even recognize the "Your Own Way" quilt.

Although I've gotten lovely quilty gifts from friends, I've never gotten a quilt. I'm so thrilled. It will be used and cherished.


I've linked to the following parties. Come see what's happening! Linky Tuesday with Freemotion by the River, Main Crush Monday with Cooking Up Quilts, Free Motion Mavericks with Muv, Off the Wall Friday with Nina-Marie, Monday Making with Love Laugh Quilt and MOP Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)