Friday, January 27, 2017

First Block - Applique

Growing up QAL button
I know that I shouldn't commit to another quilting activity...but since I love learning and participating in Alida's events, I signed up for Growing up QAL, a skill building quilt-along.

Alida is giving us an excellent incentive to actually make the blocks since to keep receiving the instructions for the QAL for free, we have to make and post the blocks within a specific time period (which is generous).

The first block for January is the Rose Appliqué Block.

Crafted Appliqué

Of course, I didn't quite follow the instructions. I copied the pattern onto freezer paper, which I then ironed onto the rose fabric that had been prepared following the Crafted Appliqué technique. It worked perfectly.

As you can see from my image, I used some fabric to test the different sizes for the zigzag stitch. I also wanted to ensure that the thread colour would work out. I used Superior Thread's Bottom Line in the bobbin and their Kimono Silk on top. Wow! That thread combination along with a fine zigzag stitch really worked out well. That's a good thing because it felt like I was sewing for miles!

Rose Appliqué on block 1 with Kimono Silk thread and practice piece
Rose Appliqué on block 1 with Kimono Silk thread and practice piece



Alida also sent us a special page for attaching our fabric swatches. I'm not sure what fabrics I'll be using for the whole project, but it would be nice if it coordinated well enough to make a quilt.

There is another page that we can use to colour each block. I'm not sure that I want to be that organised :-)



What I learned:

  • Once I put my mind to it, it really didn't take me long to make this block. For the time it took, it's very effective.
  • As I mentioned, this was a perfect project to use the Crafted Appliqué technique.
  • I impressed myself by making the practice piece to check out the stitch. I only do that when messing up would be much more work than doing a practice piece!
  • This first block was done on time and I'm looking forward to the next block (and staying on time)!

Featured Links:


Block 1: Rose Appliqué
Block 1: Rose Appliqué


Block Details:
Rose Appliqué (Block 1)
15½" x 15½"
Materials: Kona Cotton, Bottom Line and Kimono Silk threads
Techniques: Crafted Appliqué technique, freezer paper, zigzag stitch






Linky Parties: You can see and read about other participants' progress here. I have also linked this post to the following parties. Check them out! Linky Tuesday, Main Crush Monday, Let's Bee Social, Midweek Makers, Can I Get a Whoop Whoop? Needle and Thread Thursday, Off the Wall Friday, Finished or Not Friday, Fabric Frenzy Friday




8 comments:

  1. Great job with your block! I love the fact that you decided to use your own way to make the block, I never follow instructions either ;) Thanks for participating and for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alida, it's always a pleasure. Looking forward to the second block.

      Delete
  2. Lovely block! In retrospect, I could have used the Crafted Applique method too. Maybe I'll just have to make another rose.
    Thanks for sharing an alternate method on Midweek Makers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. Yes, the Crafted Applique method really worked well. Now that I'm comfortable with it, I have tons of other ideas in minds for its use. This will be one method that I'll get lots of use from.

      Delete
  3. I really like using the Kimono Silk thread. I'll have to try it with Bottom Line - thanks for sharing your thread combo. The rose is so pretty, I think you did a fabulous job with it. I'm looking forward to seeing more blocks! Thanks for linking to MCM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth, I'm really loving the Bottom Line and Kimono Silk thread combination. It works now that I use a smaller needle - I believe it's a 14. Thanks for hosting MCM!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful block. I cannot see your stitches, but that's the point, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your block looks great. I have just been trying the crafted applique technique too :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)