Friday, January 20, 2017

Creating a Winter Wonderland

Winter Wonderland Snow Frame
 Last year I made a snow globe as a gift. It was quite small, so it was mostly putting a few little pieces of fabric together and inserting them in the snow globe (see pictures below).

This year I found some slightly larger snow frames (6½" X 4½"). I think that these have much more potential!

I made this one using Christmas scraps, since my holiday fabric stash stayed in the basement this year.

I used a blue background fabric with snowflakes and stars, and covered it with a tulle of gold stars.

For the foreground I used some cute frolicking deer, a couple of tree fabrics and embellished it with some fussy cut bits. My niece was very impressed that I had made it - she thought that it was store bought (when you're 12, that's a good thing).

I've always wanted to make postcard size art quilts so I think that these could be a snowy variation. The piece fit very well inside the frame, although I'm fairly sure I didn't quilt it.
A blizzard in Wonderland!
Snow Globe - penguin
Snow Globe - Santa checking his list

This is the snow globe from last year. It was two-sided and lights up, but wase much more difficult to work with. I'm not at my best working on very small things!







What I learned:
  • I love playing with fabric on smaller projects that have little to no cost (in time or fabric) if I mess up.
  • I bought 2 extra snow frames (on sale) after the holidays. I'm not sure that I'll have time this winter to make them...they may end up in the basement with the 5 snow globes from last year! :-)
Featured links: Joyeux Noel: December 24, 2015 
Linky parties: check out what everyone's up to! Oh Scrap!, Finished or Not Friday, Off the Wall Friday, MOP Monday, Monday Making, Main Crush Monday, Let's Bee Social, Linky TuesdayMidweek Makers, Fabric Frenzy Friday



5 comments:

  1. Wow, what a clever project! I didn't know you could make snowglobes! Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is fabulous project! So beautiful. Love your snow globes too.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  3. So clever - I never would have thought of that! They are so pretty! Thanks for linking to Main Crush Monday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome - it really looks like a snow globe! Thank you for sharing on Midweek Makers

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)