Monday, October 24, 2016

Welcoming Fall

Buck at Omega Park
Buck at Omega Park
This post is dedicated to fall in all of its glories.

The leaves are turning and there's lots of red this year! The nights are getting colder and the bucks are checking out the ladies. This is one of the bucks my sister-in-law, niece and I saw at the Omega Park near Ottawa a couple of weeks ago. We didn't approach some of the bucks, but this big guy was more hungry than protective :-)

Fall door hanging
Fall door hanging








As you may know, I have hangings for my front door for every season - yes, the door is protected from the elements. Here's the fall one on the door now. It's got colourful leaves, flying geese and even a basket with fall goodies. It was great for practicing my free motion quilting (FMQ).







Here is Fall Tree, one of my landscape art quilts featuring a close-up of a tree with changing leaves. This project was a class taken with Elaine Quehl. I finished the quilt last fall after spending a month looking at the way leaves change colours.
Fall Tree wall hanging
Fall Tree by the burning bush
One of my first paper pieced project was Patches, the Pumpkin Patch Protector. He is one of my favourite wall quilts. This is a free project from Martingale, designed by Jaynette Huff. It's much larger than I expected and looks great in the front hallway. Patches comes out each fall, at the same time as my fall door hanging.

Patches the Pumpkin Patch Protector wall quilt
Patches the Pumpkin Patch Protector

This last quilt is a new one to my blog. Years ago I gave my friend Sonya all of my Halloween decorations. She sent me this picture while she was decorating her house last week. This is one of the first quilts I made - Halloween Night from the Sept/Oct 2005 magazine of Fran's & Porter's Love of Quilting. It's machine appliquéd and hand-quilted. It was made before I learned to FMQ.

Halloween Night wall quilt
Halloween Night
What I learned:

  • I was pleasantly surprised to see a picture of one of my earliest wall hangings. I didn't realise that I made this so long ago.
  • Although orange is not my colour, I do love fall colours - they are so rich.

I hope that you'll have a great fall. They're calling for wet snow (aka slush) tomorrow morning, but it usually doesn't stick around before Halloween. Once November begins though - anything is possible!

I am linking this post to the following linky parties. Please check out what's happening: MOP Monday, Monday Making, Main Crush Monday, Oh Scrap!, Fabric Tuesday, Linky Tuesday, Let's Bee Social, Midweek Makers, Free Motion Mavericks, Needle and Thread Thursday, and Off the Wall Friday

7 comments:

  1. What a great collection of fall inspired pieces!! Really lovely!! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alida. Isn't it wild to go back and look at our older projects - so much learning going on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice collection of fall decorations! Thanks for sharing on Midweek Makers

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, I never considered using a quilt as a hanging for my front door! What a great idea! Thank you for sharing that one! Your front door hangings are so warm and welcoming! At first glance, I though Fall Tree was a painting! So beautiful!
    Thank you for sharing!
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the lovely comment Patricia. I do hope to make a few more door hangings for special events but I've yet to get there. They are great for practicing different techniques and FMQ.

      Delete
  5. Hello Andrée,

    This is interesting seeing the seasonal theme. really love the scarecrow.

    Thank you for linking up with Free Motion Mavericks!

    Love, Muv

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)