Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Getting Ready for Ricky Timms

Tomorrow I’ll be spending the day with Ricky Tims (with a few hundred other quilters!) He’ll be in Ottawa for  a quilting seminar. That means we'll be listening and watching him as opposed to bringing our sewing machines and quilting.  

The doors open at 8:30 and our ticket says that it's on till 8:30 pm! Here's the schedule:

  • Lecture 1: Fear not the "A" Word (Appliqué)
  • Lecture 2: Out of Your Mind (This one sounds like it's right up my alley since it's about design)
  • Lecture 3: Just a Quilting Fool (Machine quilting on a domestic sewing machine)
  • Concert
I sure hope that Ricky is well rested - that is one full day of performing. He's probably an extrovert and gets energy from crowds and performing. As an introvert, a schedule like that would kill me!


Ricky Tims Convergence Quilts
Ricky Tims Convergence Quilts
To get ready for this event, I bought Ricky Tims' Convergence Quilts book. Since I'm procrastinating so well at this time, I read the book and started on my own convergence quilt!



What I learned:
  • Ricky Tims has really worked through his technique, so when he suggests that you do something, even if you don't think it's necessary - DO IT! In the end, he's right!!!!
  • It wasn't a difficult technique but you do have to be accurate when sewing it all back together.
I haven't added a border yet, but I really do like the effects. Once my brother's quilt is quilted, this project is on the top of the list!

I also learned that my blog doesn't want to play nice with other fonts! It seems that I'll have to use the html to keep it consistent.   :-)
Ricky Tims and some of his fans!

Update: August 2, 2013

The day with Ricky Tims was amazing. He taught, entertained, serenaded and inspired us. He seems so authentic. It was a real treat. I was able to buy some of his hand-died fabric, without paying for shipping (at least not directly).

Here he was, signing autographs and chatting.

There were three of his quilts on display - and would you believe that he encouraged us to touch them!

This was a wonderful quilty day!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)