Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Learning to Paper Piece


Paper piecing - the back

I recently had the opportunity to try my hand at paper piecing as part of a group project.  For those of us who had little or no paper piecing experience, we got to do the easiest pieces. It will eventually be a double wedding ring in blues and white.  I’m sure the final result will be incredible.

Final result






What a learning experience!  I enjoyed how the process was similar to making a puzzle. The only really difficult part was remembering to think backwards in 3D!  I’m not usually that careful or worried about matching things, which unfortunately usually shows. Paper piecing really does give very precise results.

I suspect that as a beginner, paper piecing a double wedding ring is probably not recommended. I hope that eventually I’ll find an easy project to paper piece, or an easy class to take.

Update: August 1, 2013

finished paper pieced double ring quilt in blue and white
The bride-to-be receives her gift
Our quilting group had a picnic and gave the bride-to-be her quilt. Isn't it wonderful?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)